Click to Print


Requisition # 75177

Position Basics

Type of PositionCLINICAL-TRACK
Advertising Ends on:Extended Until Position is Filled
Advertising Started on:Monday, March 25th, 2024
College:Carver College of Medicine
Department:Internal Medicine



Position Details

Full/Part Time Status:Negotiable
Position Description:

The University of Iowa Department of Internal Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases is seeking an ABIM board-eligible or board-certified Infectious Diseases physician at the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor. The successful applicant is expected to serve as an Associate Hospital Epidemiologist at University of Iowa Healthcare.

This position is 60 percent administrative with the Program of Hospital Epidemiology. The other component is constituted by 40 percent effort attending on the Infectious Diseases Consult services.  There is no expectation for external funding. The other members of the Program of Hospital Epidemiology include 9 infection preventionists, an industrial hygienist, a hospital epidemiologist, and a halftime pediatric hospital epidemiologist. The opportunities to collaborate in research are ample due to a very strong team as well as other University of Iowa affiliated epidemiologists, several of whom are experienced investigators with externally funded research programs. There are also opportunities to work with trainees at all levels, including medical students, ID/hospital epidemiology fellows and MPH or PhD candidates from the University of Iowa College of Public Health.

The University of Iowa is located in Iowa City, a vibrant community located in the rolling hills of southeastern Iowa. One of four UNESCO Cities of Literature, the Iowa City community offers outstanding schools, quality entertainment, literary, musical and cultural opportunities, outdoor recreation and Big Ten sporting events. Learn more about Iowa City and the Department of Internal Medicine by watching the video:

Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any misconduct history or pending research misconduct investigation including but not limited to sexual misconduct in prior employment and provide a related release and will be subject to a criminal background and credential check.


Education Requirement:

Individuals under consideration must have an MD or equivalent degree and have completed an ACGME-accredited Residency Program.

Required Qualifications:

Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.

Excellent communication skills and eligibility for medical licensure in Iowa are required.


Candidates must be ABIM board-eligible, or board certified in Infectious Diseases. 

Desirable Qualifications:

Advanced training in hospital epidemiology and/or experience as a hospital epidemiologist are strongly recommended. Experience working within a hospital epidemiology program and/or completion of advanced fellowship training in Hospital Epidemiology or Quality and Safety (e.g. Veterans Affairs Quality Scholars program) is preferred. Evidence of strong clinical skills, a record of excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and positive interactions with students, staff and faculty are desirable. Demonstrated experience working effectively in a welcoming and respectful workplace environment.

Online Application Required Documents

 Curriculum Vitae

To start the Online Application process for this position, click the "Apply for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.

Contact Information

Contact:Stephanie J Cecil
Cmed-Internal Medicine
General Hospital
220 Hawkins Drive
SW54-13 GH
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-356-7740

The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preferences. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies. For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, and the ADA in The Office of Institutional Equity, 319/335-0705 (voice) or 319/335-0697 (text), The University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242-1316.

Persons with disabilities may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or, to inquire or discuss accommodation needs.

Prospective employees may review the University Campus Security Policy and the latest annual crime statistics by contacting the Department of Public Safety at 319/335-5022.