Department: Volunteer Services
Hourly Rate of Pay: $16.75
Work Schedule: Weekly hours are flexible, up to 20 hours per week as needed.
Preferred hours between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM.
Shift: 1st shift, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday; no weekends or holidays
Location: University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA
Type of Position: Temporary, limited to 780 hours maximum per fiscal year, no benefits
The 4th Floor Salon at the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics has an opening for an hourly Cosmetologist. This position will fill in as needed when full-time cosmetologist is not available. Under general supervision, the cosmetologist provides cosmetology services including hair, skin and nail care to hospital patients, guests, and staff.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Properly uses equipment such as scissors, clipper, razors, and waxing, for cutting and removing hair.
- Applies chemical application appropriately to hair and scalp including permanent waving solutions, tints and bleaching applications, and treatments for scalp conditions.
- Performs proper shampoo techniques and meets hair styling needs of the individual patient.
- Uses proper techniques related to skin care and application of cosmetics.
- Provides teaching and information related to hair, skin and nail care.
- Maintains therapeutic relationships.
- Meets requirements for asepsis and sanitation requirements per hospital and cosmetology codes.
- Coordinates flow of salon customers for service and retail operations.
- Performs inventory management and cash handling activities in accordance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Anticipates and addresses guests’ service needs; demonstrates superior customer service skills by identifying, fulfilling and exceeding the needs of guests. Recognizes and fulfills service recovery opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the cosmetology field and current/popular hairstyles.
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment such as scissors, clippers, razors, and waxing.
- Knowledge of proper uses of chemical applications such as permanent waving solutions, tints and bleaching applications.
- Knowledge of proper techniques related to skin care and cosmetics.
- Knowledge of asepsis and sanitation requirements per hospital and cosmetology codes.
- Knowledge of common safety practices and safe operation of equipment.
- Skill in cash handling and performing arithmetic computations.
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully and maintain effective therapeutic relationships with others.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to maintain patients’ safety.
- Ability to preserve patients' right to confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain patient cosmetology records.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Minimum Eligibility Requirement:
- Licensed to practice as a Cosmetologist in Iowa.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time (over one hour)
- Ability to push heavy cart (over 25 pounds) to and from patient rooms
Credential checks and background checks (criminal history, child/dependent adult sexual abuse) will be conducted on final candidates.