POSITION SUMMARY:The Division of Student Life; Recreational Services is seeking a Swim Instructor to provide swimming and water safety instruction to children and adults following the American Red Cross Learn-To-Swim curriculum and guidelines.
Duties to include:
- Teach age and skill appropriate group and private swimming lessons.
- Evaluate the progress of Learn-To-Swim participants.
- Arrive to work on time and prepared to teach.
- Prepare well-designed lesson plans for each class session.
- Provide reports regarding participant progress to participants, parents, and guardians.
- Complete and submit American Red Cross course records for classes taught.
- Maintain notes on participants and ideas for future classes.
- Participate in regular in-service training sessions and meetings.
- Maintain current certifications including any additional safety training.
- Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
Hourly Rate/Range: Swim Instructor: $11.25; Swim Instructor Aide: $10.50
Hours: 6-20 hours/week
Shift: Shift times vary between 5:45 am – 10:00 pm
Work Week: May work weekends
Additional Hours: As needed
BACKGROUND CHECK: Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
BUILDING A CAREER AND A LIFE AT IOWA: At the University of Iowa, we recognize the important relationship between productive careers and quality personal lives. Please reference the resources on our web page that are designed to assist you to successfully build a career and build a life: https://worklife.uiowa.edu/ (https://worklife.uiowa.edu/)
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups through a variety of situations.
- Mandatory attendance at regularly scheduled in-service trainings.
- Ability to use independent judgment when needed.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule that may include early mornings, late evenings, and weekends.
- Must be a currently enrolled high school or college student.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.