|Department||International Writing/Graduate College|
|Jobcode||Motor Vehicle Operator I|
The INTERNATIONAL WRITING PROGRAM (IWP) began in 1967 as a way to bring together a wide range of international writers to examine current trends in world literature. Now celebrating its 55th anniversary year, the IWP’s Fall Residency is the oldest and largest multinational residency in the world, having hosted over 1,500 writers from more than 150 nations at the University of Iowa—a major American research institution internationally renowned for its writing programs—and Iowa City, in part because of the IWP’s presence, has been designated a UNESCO City of Literature. For 2022, the IWP will bring together 34 of the world’s emerging and established writers to participate in the Fall Residency’s unique intercultural experience. Over the course of 10 weeks, aside from working on their own projects, writers will give readings and lectures that share their work and cultures, collaborate with artists from other genres and art forms, and travel and interact with American audiences and literary communities across the U.S.
The International Writing Program is looking to hire several drivers to assist in transporting IWP residents to and from various events in Fall 2021. There may also be opportunities for duties beyond just driving on a case-by-case basis (setting up and facilitating online or in-person events, for example).
· U.S. Driver’s License (please note: you will need to provide the University with a copy of your three-year driving history—this is easiest to do if you have held a U.S. driver’s license for at least three years, but it may also be possible to locate and translate your foreign driving history, however, this would be your responsibility)
· Due to the fluctuating nature of scheduling transportation for 20 writers, we request that applicants have access to a smart phone in which to consult maps and check email when away from home
· Strong ability to work independently and reliably
· A flexible or consistent schedule (weekday and weekend availability, ability to drive on an ad-hoc basis)
· A friendly and professional attitude
The candidate must be available the weekend of August 21, 2022 when the writers arrive from their international locales. Night and weekend work will be required, but can be flexible. Work obligations will end October 26.
TBD--we can work around your schedule, but the set times of need are Fridays from 4pm to 7pm, September 13-15, October 25-26.
AIDAN CHRISTOPHER MANALIGOD
|Application Instructions||Email resume and cover letter to Aidan Manaligod, Fall Residency Assistant: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, please note any type of potential scheduling conflicts or blackout dates from August 21 to October 26, 2022.|
|Ad Start Date||08/04/2022|
|Ad End Date||09/09/2022|