Salary: $20/hour to commensurate
Percent of time: PRN/as needed
Type of position: Temporary, not eligible for benefits
Hourly Hospital Interpreter needed to provide Mandarin Chinese interpretation and translation services for non-English speaking patients, their families and hospital staff on a as needed basis. The Hospital Interpreter will:
- Provide information and consultation to interdisciplinary team members
- Comply with departmental standards regarding EPIC documentation and statistics, departmental policies and procedures, and the National Code of Ethics for Interpreters in Healthcare
- Keep current with interpreter and health care knowledge-base and to pursue further enhancements of job-related knowledge; may participate in on-call responsibilities.
- Provides accurate and effective interpretation of procedures and other interactions for non-English speaking and/or hearing-impaired patients, their families, and hospital staff
- Provides accurate and effective translation of written documents, correspondence and brochures used by patients and families
- Provides information and consultation to interdisciplinary team members
- Participates in activities and programs related to the Office of the Patient Experience
- Performs other projects and tasks as assigned
- A Bachelor's Degree in language(s) or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and Mandarin Chinese is necessary (proficiency will be tested annually)
- Familiarity with the various cultures involved is necessary.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to effectively transmit, receive, and interpret ideas, information, and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, projects, groups, or activities, making effective judgments as to prioritizing and time allocation. Demonstrates high attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- 6 months’ previous healthcare-related experience
- Experience in fast-paced, high-volume work environment
- Familiarity with EMR (electronic medical record); previous experience with Epic is highly desirable
Applicant credentials are subject to verification:
- Background checks (criminal history, child/dependent adult sexual abuse) and credential checks will be conducted on final candidates for all positions in UI Hospitals & Clinics.