|Department||Center for Diversity and Enrichment/Office of the Provost|
|Working Title||Upward Bound Summer Science Intructor|
The University of Iowa TRIO Upward Bound Project is seeking a Summer Science Instructor To create and teach an engaging science course to rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade students in the Upward Bound summer program. Each science course will meet on Tuesdays & Thursdays to simulate the structure of a college course (180 instructional minutes per week). Class periods are 90 minutes long, so that science courses can contain a lab component. Instructors may apply to teach multiple courses.
- Create an engaging grade-level appropriate science course curriculum with lab component and syllabus for each course taught. Courses should include career exploration in fields related to science.
- Effectively implement curriculum developed for each course, utilizing a variety of teaching techniques, including cooperative learning approaches, interactive labs, and computer interactive technologies.
- Instruct students in specific study and logic strategies for the sciences.
- Familiarize students with college expectations unique to the study of the sciences.
- Develop and administer a course-specific pretest and posttest, and deliver data to Educational Specialists upon completion of the course.
- Develop and implement science-themed field trip with one other science instructor on/near campus to compliment course material.
- Update student grades by Friday of each week.
- Other duties as assigned
$24-$32 per hour as commensurate
Minimum requirement of ten hours per week with a maximum of eighteen hours per week. Each week, all instructors will be expected to complete three hours of prep time, three hours of class time, attend a one-hour staff meeting, and help facilitate a two-hour study hall session. In addition, instructors will have the opportunity to earn eight additional hours per week by participating in the following: Friday field trips, special activities, and additional study hall attendance.
Attendance at the training/special event dates listed below is required. Instructors will also be required to plan and lead one Friday field trip in collaboration with their instructional subject group.
REQUIRED EVENTS CALENDAR:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to employ a variety of teaching strategies, including cooperative learning
- Ability to teach the reasoning process involved the study of the sciences
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands and priorities
- Current certification to teach science at the secondary level
- Experience teaching science to high school students
- Experience incorporating computer technology into teaching and learning
- Experience working with students from low-income backgrounds, multiethnic backgrounds, and/or who are potential first-generation college graduates
Appropriate background checks (e.g. criminal background and credential checks) will be conducted.
|Application Instructions||Applicants may apply online at http://diversity.uiowa.edu/employment-opportunities or obtain a paper version of the application by visiting 2750 University Capitol Center or calling/emailing Upward Bound at the contact information below.
An on-campus interview will be required. If you have questions, please call Upward Bound at (319) 335-6708 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuous recruitment: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Applications will no longer be accepted after May 1st, 2020.
|Ad Start Date||01/28/2020|
|Ad End Date||05/01/2020|