Merit Applications will be accepted through 4:59 PM on the advertising end date.
|Job Type:||Temporary ( Limited to 780 hours per fiscal year, no benefits )|
|Initial Advertising Ends on:||Extended Until Position is Filled|
|Department:||Library Administration & General|
|Part/Full Time||Full Time Position|
|Hours:||08:00 AM to 05:00 PM|
Details: As a temporary position, employees in this position are limited to working 780 hours maximum.
Days Off: Sun,Sat
|Background Check:||Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.|
|Duties:||Position Description: Under the supervision of the Libraries Annex Manager, the Helper positions will aid in processing a 425,000 volume collection recently moved to the Libraries Annex, an off-campus high-density storage facility. The Helpers will ensure accuracy of bibliographic records and process materials into the Libraries Annex collection. |
Specific duties include:
• Assembles cardboard trays
• Cleans materials following preservation guidelines
• Measures materials and fills trays with books.
• Affixes bar codes to trays, using a configuration based on the size of the contents and the location of the tray in the storage area.
• Accessioning includes inputting information by scanning the barcode of each volume into the library inventory system (Alma) to accurately update each volume’s physical location.
• Maintain regular communication with staff involved with the project, flagging damaged materials for review.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to perform routine manual labor while maintaining attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate effectively with library staff, orally and in writing.
• Ability to regularly move up to 20lb and occasionally move up to 60lb.
• Punctuality, reliability, focus, and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to follow written and verbal instructions and perform routine actions.
Before applying for the HELPER - MANUAL position, please read the Minimum Qualifications
Before you can apply for a specific opening, you must have an ACTIVE ELECTRONIC MERIT EMPLOYMENT FILE with UI HR Employment Services. If you have already done so, please login. If you have not, please read our introductory page.
APPLICANT CREDENTIALS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION
Background checks(criminal history, child/dependent adult sexual abuse) will be conducted on final candidates for all positions in UI Hospitals and Clinics. Background checks may also be conducted for other positions.
For information about applying for Office and Clerical, Service, or Technical/Craft positions, please go to Merit Application Procedures or contact University Human Resources Employment Services at 319-335-2656 or 800-272-6400 (Iowa Toll Free).
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies. For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, and the ADA in The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, 319/335-0705 (voice) or 319/335-0697 (text), The University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242-1316.
Persons with disabilities may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to inquire or discuss accommodation needs.
Prospective employees may review the University Campus Security Policy and the latest annual crime statistics by contacting the Department of Public Safety at 319/335-5022.