|Department||Center for Diversity and Enrichment/Office of the Provost|
|Working Title||Upward Bound Summer Foreign Language Instructor|
The University of Iowa TRIO Upward Bound Project is seeking a Summer Bridge Seminar Instructor To create and teach an engaging foreign language course for rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade students in the Upward Bound summer program. Each foreign language course will meet in the Mon/Web format to simulate the structure of a college course. Each class period will last 90 minutes (a total of 180 instructional minutes per week). Instructors may apply to teach multiple courses.
- Create an engaging grade-level appropriate foreign language course curriculum and syllabus for each course taught. Courses should include career and cultural exploration related to the foreign language.
- Effectively implement curriculum developed for each course, utilizing a variety of teaching techniques, including cooperative learning approaches, interactive labs, and computer interactive technologies.
- Develop and administer a foreign language pretest and posttest, and deliver data to Educational Specialists upon completion of the course.
- Collaborate with one other foreign language instructor to organize a cultural dinner on a Wednesday evening (July 8th) to educate all summer participants on the culture surrounding the language of instruction.
- Update student grades by Friday of each week.
- Other duties as assigned
$24-$32 per hour as commensurate
Minimum requirement of ten hours per week with a maximum of eighteen hours per week. Each week, all instructors will be expected to complete three hours of prep time, three hours of class time, attend a one-hour staff meeting, and help facilitate a two-hour study hall session. In addition, instructors will have the opportunity to earn eight additional hours per week by participating in the following: Friday field trips, special activities, and additional study hall attendance.
Attendance at the training/special event dates listed below is required. Instructors will also be required to plan and lead one Friday field trip in collaboration with their instructional subject group.
REQUIRED EVENTS CALENDAR:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, conflicting demands and priorities
- Ability to employ a variety of teaching techniques and strategies
- Current certification to teach foreign languages at the secondary level
- Experience teaching foreign languages to high school students
- Ability to teach the reasoning processes involved in foreign language acquisition
- Experience incorporating computer technology into teaching and learning
- Experience teaching students from low-income backgrounds, multiethnic backgrounds, and/or who are potential first-generation college graduates
Appropriate background checks (e.g. criminal background and credential checks) will be conducted.
|Application Instructions||Applicants may apply online at http://diversity.uiowa.edu/employment-opportunities or obtain a paper version of the application by visiting 2750 University Capitol Center or calling or emailing Upward Bound at the below contact information.
An on-campus interview will be required. If you have questions, please call Upward Bound at (319) 335-6708 or email email@example.com
Continuous recruitment: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled. Applications will no longer be accepted after May 1st, 2020.
|Ad Start Date||01/28/2020|
|Ad End Date||05/01/2020|