Apply as a Contract Transfer
Instructions for Current UI Merit Employees
A contract transfer is a priority transfer under the terms of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Iowa and AFSCME (American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees). If you are the most senior employee eligible for the transfer, you are the only person that the department may hire.
- You must have permanent status in a classification covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- You must desire a transfer within your current classification.
- You must desire a transfer to a different shift, a different work location (as defined by the Agreement), or both; or you must be changing from full-time to part-time or part-time to full-time status.
- You must not have transferred, (contract or lateral), in your current classification within the past six months.
- You must not have transferred more than twice during the life of this contract.
- Complete or update your Merit employment application using the online application process.
- Sign the "Application for Transfer" form at the Employment Services office in 102 University Services Building (located at 1 W. Prentiss Street, Iowa City).
- Merit job postings are updated on a daily basis. Each new posting will include an "APPLY BY" date. Check the job posting list on a regular basis on the "Regents Merit Positions Job Line" publication available in the Employment Services office (M-F, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.) or viewing the Job Line online.
- Contact the Employment office (335-2656) to get the name, address, and telephone number of the hiring department's contact person.
- Discuss the duties of the position, in person or over the phone, with the department. It is very important for you to understand the duties of the position in order for you to determine if this is a position for which you wish to have a priority of referral, for you must be ready to accept the position if it is offered to you.
- You will need to sign into our site every 1-2 working days and view the "Quick Apply to Merit Jobs" page found "My Merit Jobs". Here you will see if there are openings you can apply to. You will be set up as a contract transfer unless you call the office and specifically request Lateral Transfer status.
Note: Be sure that if the position is posted with special qualifications that you meet those qualifications and that the information is included in your merit application.
- If you are the most senior eligible employee who has submitted his/her name as a contract transfer, then you will be referred to the department. You will be sent a letter of referral instructing you to contact the department.
You may e-mail questions to an Employment Representative: